Friday, May 11, 2007

Free Free Free... The Power of a Word

Stop! I can't take it anymore!

The word "free" used in the internet marketing business is something I have never, ever seen in my life before. I have been in a lots of different sales businesses before but IM is in a class of it's own.

I was looking to make some extra money and had lots of time on my hands as I am(was) semi-retired. Hmm Stay at home..play on the net..sounded good to me. I had no idea what I was in for.I have seen, in the 4 months I have been doing IM, more angles, slants, sales pitches and systems than I've seen in all my 35 years of business life. The word "FREE" is used like a piece of candy to a baby and I have trouble turning them down when what they are selling is "free". It is one powerful word.

Once you go for one thing free, look out there's 10 more coming up behind.When does it end! When does it rest!. Well I've figured out the answer is never. I have signed up for and downloaded so much free stuff that in a million years I'd never read or institute even a small portion of it. It makes my head spin just thinking about all the things I need to read and do. Hey! Wait! I am retired. This business just puts it's hooks in and reels you in, going deeper and deeper and making it a more than full time thing.You start the day with the intention of completeing a task and Bam! In comes an email about something free from someone, who in the past has given you good info, and off you go on a tangent in a million different directions and never do the job you wanted to when you started.

Stop! Please! Turn off the tap..my head is spinning...information overload! Well wait..I have control of the tap. "Shut it off Seth".I have read advice in several places to not jump into every new system that comes along..just start with one thing..get good at it then go on to the next. Sage advice,but they never said anything about stuff that was "FREE". I mean how wrong can you go with free! Too bad I haven't heeded it.

Right this minute I am going to do that. I am going to unsubscribe to everything and just sit back and take stock of where I'm at. Phew! That's better. Relax..Focus.Ok I'm better now. A new leaf..a focused direction..stay on task.. shut off all the distractions..Well better check my email. Hmm.. One from John Reese.. he's really good. I like his info... A recommended deal from John Reese..Well maybe one more thing. This one isn't "FREE".. It'll cost me a dollar... Yes that's better. At least I didn't fall for "FREE".

Seth

www.thesourceishere.com

No comments: